November 7th, 2017 marks one year since Mike Dillon passed. In that time the company that he built has continued to strive towards the goals and standards that Mike established. We frequently ask ourselves “What did Mike say about this?” or “How would Mike have handled that?” and those conversations have helped to guide and inform us as we move forward. We have also heard, and appreciated, the many condolences and tributes that fans of Mike’s work have communicated to us and we are thankful for your continued support.
In the November edition of The Blue Press, on page 5, there is a touching tribute to Mike Dillon written by his family. It is well worth reading as it reminds us all of Mike’s many achievements in life, his dedication to his family, and his lasting impact on several industries.
It seems trite to say that someone “touched so many lives”, because we’ve all heard it said so many times, but Mike truly did have an influence on the direction of an industry that has helped to make metallic cartridge reloading more accessible and more practical for a multitude of shooters. Mike liked to shoot and he wanted to find a way to do so without breaking the bank. I think we can all relate to that and we can all be glad that he had the drive and ingenuity to create something that we, as shooters, can all benefit from.
To find out more about Mike Dillon’s life and his many achievements just browse through the “Remembering Mike Dillon” section of this site.
Of the many reasons for reloading pistol ammunition, saving money is usually one of the first that people mention, but is there any “sense” to the “cents” that we are saving? What if you are a competitive shooter firing 10’s of thousands of rounds per year? We all tend to look for deals, which is perfectly normal, because most of us aren’t made of money and our sponsor is the guy or gal we see in the mirror. The problem with looking for deals is that sometimes we focus on saving money in the wrong areas. Component selection is one of those areas. Many times I’ve heard shooters say something along the lines of “Sure that powder is great but it costs twice as much as this other powder.” Well, yeah, the actual powder does cost nearly twice as much in some of these scenarios but how does that affect the cost of my shooting? Does that cost difference make my ammo cost twice as much?
To answer these questions we’ve taken the pricing for some common 9mm components that we sell at Dillon and used pricing from a local distributor for the components we don’t sell online. Before we go any further I would like to acknowledge that there may be other suppliers, other components, other combinations that you may prefer because they are cheaper, better, whatever, and we understand that. We chose these components just for the sake of comparison.
Now that we’ve calculated our costs for each load we can take a look at the difference in the cost and how that affects our shooting. The reloading calculator rounds the numbers so with rounding in place:
Difference in Cost/Round $0.01
Difference in Cost/100 $0.73
Difference in Cost/1000 $7.34
But the reality is that it is only .007 cost per round different. We determine this by dividing the “Difference in Cost Per 1000” by 1000. This give us a real cost per round difference of $0.00734.
That cost difference per round, which is $0.00734, can be used to determine the impact on our competition shooters budget. A competition shooter might fire 10’s of thousands of rounds per year. So that $0.00734 cost difference could make a difference, right? Let’s look.
Volume Shooters Cost Difference Per Year
10,000 rounds per year = $73.40
20,000 rounds per year = $146.80
30,000 rounds per year = $220.20
So NOW the numbers look pretty scary, right? Well, maybe not so scary. Those numbers are for the cost difference per year. Even for the shooter who shoots 30,000 rounds per year and chooses to use VV N320, the powder that costs twice as much, it’s only $18.35 a month more expensive. For the 10,000 round per year shooter it’s only $6.12 a month more.
So you have to take the amount of shooting that you do into account and ask yourself if you would rather have the powder you like or the powder you thought was a bargain. If you’re lucky they are the same powder. If not, it’s probably worth it to go with the powder you like and deal with the minimal cost difference. Either way in the end this is your money and we wouldn’t dream of telling you how to spend it. Hopefully we’ve at least given you something to think about when making those decisions. Oh, and yeah, we know this math doesn’t necessarily apply to rifle shooters… that’s a WHOLE different conversation.
It is getting HOT outside, especially here at Dillon Precision. After all we are in The Valley of The SUN! This is the perfect time to spend some quality time at your reloading bench making ammo. Don’t have a press? Need another press? WANT another press? Well, don’t worry we are going to take care of one lucky winner with a brand new RL 550C!
The RL 550C is the workhorse of the Dillon Precision line up and is capable of making most popular rifle and pistol cartridges. The RL 550C comes with a caliber conversion of your choice.* The RL 550C has a manually indexed shellplate making it easier to master the various steps of reloading. Manual indexing also gives the operator greater control over each individual step in the loading process. Caliber changes are simple and require fewer parts than other machines which makes it less expensive to convert to another cartridge.
We are also giving away some Dillon Precision Range Bags. These bags are perfect for your trip to the range with plenty of room for your gun, ammo, tools and other supplies that you need while you are out. There are even a couple of pouches on the front sized just right for water bottles to help keep you hydrated.
Even if you don’t score the RL 550C or a Range Bag you can still win an awesome Dillon Precision T-Shirt or Hat. Let everyone know that you only accept the best and wear your Dillon T’ or Hat with pride.
How do I enter?
We are going to use our mobile app to send a push notification with a hashtag that you will use to post a picture to Instagram. We’ll tell you which hashtag and what kind of pic we want when we send the notification. Here’s an example of the message you might receive:
“Dillon Precision would like you to post a pic of your favorite range toy to #skinthatsmokewagon.”
You’ll have till 5:00 pm the following Thursday to enter. Just post the type of pic we request to your Instagram account with the hashtag we asked for and we’ll pick a winner, or winners, for that weeks prize.
Winners will be chosen randomly by Dillon Precision.
Notifications will be sent on Monday June 26th, July 3rd, and July 10th. By entering the contest you agree to the Contest Rules at the bottom of this page.
Please read the full rules below but here are some highlights that you may want to take note of:
You are only allowed one entry per week. You will be disqualified for extra entries.
You must follow @dillonprecision on Instagram to participate. Instagram accounts that are used just for contests or that are set to private are disqualified from participating and cannot win.
Duplicate or fake accounts will be disqualified without notice at the sole discretion of Dillon Precision.
If you don’t have our mobile app just search for Dillon Precision in your devices app store or check here for more details. Don’t worry about getting a ton of push notifications, we don’t send them very often.
*The RL 550C does not come with dies or any other accessories or components.
Reload Your Summer With Dillon Precision – Contest Rules:
To participate in the contest you must download our mobile app and follow us on Instagram.
On Monday June 26th, July 3rd, and July 10th we will send a push notice out via the mobile app telling users to post a pic to a specific hashtag on Instagram. Entrants have until 5:00 pm Mountain Standard Time on the following Thursday to enter by posting a pic with the requested content to that hashtag. On each subsequent Friday we will choose a winner from the qualified entrants.
Winners the first week will get a Dillon Precision hat or t-shirt, whichever they prefer.
Winners the second week will receive a Dillon range bag.
The winner of the final week will win an RL 550C with a caliber conversion of their choosing.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who follow Dillon Precision on Instagram (https://instagram.com/dillonprecision) and who have downloaded our mobile app for iPhone or Android. Contestants must be 18 years of age as of the date of entry. The Campaign is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Dillon Precision, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating in the Reload Your Summer with Dillon Precision the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Dillon Precision as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on June 26th, 2017 and ending July 13th, 2017. All online entries must be received by 5pm Mountain Standard Time on July 13th, 2017.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting a qualifying image at the Instagram hashtag provided via mobile app push notification. The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion Dillon Precision. You may enter only once per week. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion Dillon Precision. Instagram accounts that are used just for contests or that are set to private are disqualified from participating and cannot win. Duplicate or fake accounts will be disqualified without notice at the sole discretion of Dillon Precision. Dillon Precision reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry that it believes contains obscene, offensive or inappropriate content, that does not comply with these Official Rules or that is not consistent with the spirit or theme of the Contest.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive either a Dillon Precision Hat, Dillon Precision T-Shirt, or a Dillon Precision RL 550C. You may only win once per week. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Dillon Precision. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted.If you cannot receive or posses the prize that you win in the area in which you reside you forfeit the prize and another Winner will be chosen by Dillon Precision. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Dillon Precision to use the Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of Dillon Precision. Winner will be notified by Instagram message within five (5) days following selection of Winner. Dillon Precision shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 10 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT DILLON PRECISION’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Dillon Precision, anyone acting on behalf of Dillon Precision, and Dillon Precision’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Optional verbiage for Contests: By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Dillon Precision. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Dillon Precision from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which Dillon Precision may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: Dillon Precision reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Dillon Precision’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, Dillon Precision may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Dillon Precision. Dillon Precision reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Dillon Precision has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Dillon Precision reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Dillon Precision and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE STATE OF ARIZONA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Arizona having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s Instagram user name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
8009 E. Dillon’s Way
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Requests must be received no later than July 31st, 2017.
14. The Sponsor of the Campaign is
Dillon Precision Products, Inc.
8009 E. Dillon’s Way
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
15. The Campaign hosted by Dillon Precision is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. By entering the Contest, You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
“All gave some; some gave all”
-Howard William Osterkamp, Korean War Veteran and Purple Heart recipient.
In the United States Memorial Day is observed each year on the last Monday in May. Originally known as Decoration Day, a day set aside on May 30th to commemorate those who died fighting the Civil War, Memorial Day is a national holiday of remembrance honoring those who lost their lives fighting for our freedoms in conflicts around the globe. This day, unlike Veterans Day which honors those who have served, is for those who died in service to their country and “gave all.” We, of course, owe both groups an immense debt of gratitude and respect.
For many Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer and is a time to gather together with family and friends for celebration. This freedom to celebrate, to gather, to be with those we care about, was paid for by the sacrifices of men and women who served this nation with all that they had to give. Their contributions have impacted our society in ever expanding ripples, affecting those closest to them and spreading out into their communities and then to our entire nation.
However you may choose to spend this weekend we sincerely hope that you enjoy every freedom that this great nation affords you but don’t forget to take a moment to reflect upon those who “gave all.”
On Memorial Day in 1986 President Ronald Reagan gave this moving speech at Arlington National Cemetery. His words capture the essence of Memorial Day in a way that few can. Please, take a few minutes to watch this tribute to our fallen soldiers.
This months Blue Press features 6 great articles, the entire catalog of Dillon Precision Reloading Machines, and, of course, the very best in reloading components and shooting gear. Dillon Precision brings you this same level of informative and entertaining content every month and, here’s the best part, it is 100% free. More than “just” a catalog, the Blue Press is a resource worth exploring each and every month.
The articles this month are:
Keep a Record
by Peter Caroline
Shining Some Light on Handheld and Weapon Light Use
by Cameron Benz
Classic Firearms: The Smith & Wesson Model 66 Revolver
by John Marshall
It’s TIME to Start Messing With New York’s Gun Laws Just who do these people think they are?
by Alan Korwin, The Uninvited Ombudsman (GunLaws.com)
Loading Plated Bullets
by Duane Thomas
The Spandau in Grandma’s Basement
by Brian Dervin Dillon, Ph.D.
If you don’t already get the Blue Press you can sign up here or just read it online where you’ll find both current and back issues of the Blue Press.